LAYERED MASON JAR SALAD
Elda’s Kitchen Kentucky Bourbon Cooking & Grilling Sauce
Ingredients & Supplies
- A 32oz mason jar for a meal salad (this recipe is for a 32oz salad, but you can make a side salad by using a 16oz mason jar and halving the following recipe).
- 2 tablespoons of Elda’s Kitchen Kentucky Bourbon Cooking & Grilling Sauce
- ½ tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A pinch of kosher salt
- A pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon pickled beets
- ¼ cup black beans
- ⅓ cup chicken, precooked and shredded or chopped
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons tomato, diced
- ¼ cup avocado, diced
- ½ cup quinoa
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- Arugula, cut and dried
- Butter lettuce, cut and dried
If you prepare these in a jar the night before, the order of ingredients outlined below is key to make sure your dry ingredients and wet ingredients are separated and stay fresh. You can follow this guide and substitute your own favorite ingredients! If you want to add stronger flavors like red onion or eggs, we recommend you pack them in a separate container and add them right before you eat the salad, otherwise they tend to overwhelm the other flavors.
- Add all the wet ingredients to the jar–Elda’s Kitchen Kentucky Bourbon Cooking and Grilling Sauce, white wine vinegar, and olive oil. Add salt and pepper.
- Add your harder veggies. We add shredded carrots and pickled beets for this recipe, but you could add cucumber or bell peppers instead if you like.
- Add your heartier grains. For our recipe, we use black beans, but you could add pasta or rice at this point, too.
- Cheese and meat. Add your chicken and shredded cheese here.
- Soft veggies and dried fruit. We’re adding tomato, avocado, and dried cranberries. You could also add olives, dried mango, or raisins at this point.
- Quinoa, nuts, and herbs of your choice (fresh basil or rosemary would be nice here, too). We’re adding chopped pecans and quinoa.
- Top with your lettuce. It’s important to make sure your lettuce is dried well before adding. Add as much arugula and butter lettuce as you can fit, press, and seal.
When you’re ready to serve, shake vigorously to let the dressing soak all ingredients before serving and enjoy!
If you make this recipe at home, be sure to share with us by tagging @eldas.kitchen on Instagram or @EldasKitchenSauces on Facebook!